Total Pageviews

Wednesday 28 March 2012

Superb start to the Summer!


After a very long wait, and what with all of this stunning weather we have had over the last few days, I thought it would be rude not to go fishing!  Helwith Bridge was the venue of choice, it is a place I have not visited when the weather has been so nice and it seemed a good opportunity to introduce the venue to my fishing partners!

One of my goals for the summer is to get my head around Buzzer fishing.  It is a method I struggle with and have never really given it a real chance.  With Helwith being a good Buzzer water, I thought this would be as good a place as any to start.


First fish of the day, taken on a Beaded Nymph!
I got there earlier than my Dad and our Dunc and managed to get two in the bag before they arrived.

I was fishing with a 15ft leader with a beaded nymph on the point and two black buzzers, each 5ft apart.  

This nice little chap went to the Beaded Nymph almost as soon as it hit the water on my second cast of the day!  Always a sign of a good day!



One of Dad's fish making a Splash!!!


There was a slight lull as Dad and Dunc got setup but it wasn't long before there was a nice splash coming from the direction that Dad was fishing.

He took a nice little fish straight into the net, this went to a Weighted Nymph.






First fish of the day for our Dunc.


The good sport continued with us all taking similar sized fish just far enough apart to keep the day interesting.

 Then, shortly after lunch, while making a slow retrieve my rod went over and something took my line down into the depths like a bullet.  It certainly felt like a nice fish but you never want to speak too soon, just in case you tempt fate.

Then as it neared the surface I caught a glimpse of its tale under the water as it turned to take another dive.  Just as I had hoped it was a good sized fish.





A picture I will not forget in a hurry!!!


Playing it on the reel I slowly brought it up to te surface, where it was eventually (and only just) landed.

This was a new record for me at around 61/2 - 7lb, I was grinning from ear to ear for the rest of the day.






Superb fish!!!!!


Not one to be beaten though our Dunc was soon into a nice fish, this one also going to a Black Buzzer.

This chap also put up a good scrap, he really did not want to be on the bank!

All in all Helwith was a great days fishing.  The water was not as clear as it has been in the past, but it was still visible.


Talking to the owner he seemed to think it was down to the weeds and often happens around this time of year.  Hopefully it will have cleared up for my next visit, although juding by our day I don't think the fish were too bothered.

In total it was 8 fish for me, 3 for Dad and 7 for our Dunc.  Not a bad way to start the Summer is you ask me!!!!

Me enjoying the sun, perfect!















No comments:

Post a Comment