Total Pageviews

Monday 23 January 2012

Another trip to Curleys...

After a rather busy start to the year I have not been able to get out fishing for about three or four weeks so was glad to be able to escape for the day.  Arranged to meet up with our Dad for a spot of fishing at Curleys Fishery.
The weather here had been a bit blustery the last few days but today was forcast to be much better, or so we thought!  A constant (and rather chilly) wind of what seemed to be around 20mph had us stuck to the pontoons for the majority of the day but this didn't mean that we could not be successful!




Dad arrived at the fishery first and managed to get this nice Blue in first.  What a nice head start that was! (photo taken from Curleys Blogg)

It went to a Flexi-Cat on a floating line, fished quite shallow on the first pontoon near the road.


This did leave me with some catching up to do, and it wasn't long before I was into my first fish!  I was fishing with my first home tied fly and it was quite satisfying to catch on something home made.  Although this was also a little but more frustrating than usual to lose said fly shortly afterwards after a clumsy cast into a nearby tree!
 


Things then went quiet for a while then Dad got into this super little fish.  Again going to a Flexi - Cat but this time fished on an Intermediate line, a little deeper than we were reaching with floating line.

This spurred me on to make the switch, which paid off ;




Again going to a Flexi-Cat, this fish was taken very close to the bank but imediately went on a run towards the middle of the lake.  As I brought him closer I had to really fight hard to keep him from slipping under the pontoon.

 All in all another great day was had, in spite of the wind.  The totals were three for Dad and four fish for me, which is quite a happy result.  Unfortunately it may be another few weeks before I get to go again, thanks to a busy schedule.  Fingers crossed I might squeeze another trip in somewhere soon!



4 comments:

  1. Just seen your blog for the first time by following the link from Bolton Fly tyers.

    I thought I must have an imposter but just looks like a coincidence we are both Phil K and in the same area.

    Cheers Phil K
    From Phil-k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha thanks!

      When I got your email I had to read it a few times before the confusion stopped.

      Hope you like the Blogg!

      Delete
  2. It feels nice to catch a fish on a fly that you have tied yourself, doesn't it? Yes, of course it does. So keep on fly tying and fly fishing.

    Have fun on your next outing,
    M.O.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels great! I just wish I could find the time to go again, work is so busy.

      Hopefully I will get in another trip soon and I can add some more to the blogg.

      A lot of people have told me it feels good to catch on a fly, and it does. What they didnt tell me is that it feels equally as bad when you lose one of your own flies!!!

      I can always tie more though!

      Hope you enjoy the Blogg, it will get busier in in the spring I hope!

      Delete